When you send an email using your iPhone or any other device, it is sent with your default name configured under the “From” section of your email settings. You can change this name anytime by making the changes in the settings of the email application. Due to any reason, if you ever wish to change the sender name on your iPhone email app, you can follow the step-by-step instructions provided in this post.
Guide to Change the Sender Name in iPhone Mail Application
- On your iPhone, go to the applications menu and select the Settings app icon. This will direct you to the settings section of your iPhone.
- In the settings section, select the Mail
- Under Mail, select the Accounts
- Next, select the email account for which you wish to change the sending name.
- Then, navigate to the account’s name settings.
NOTE: Settings and the path to the name may be different depending on the type of account.
- For iCloud - Select iCloud and then tap the Mail
- For Gmail – Select your Account.
- For Yahoo Mail - Select Account.
- For POP – Go to POP ACCOUNT INFORMATION
- For IMAP – Go to IMAP ACCOUNT INFORMATION
- For Exchange – Unfortunately, you cannot change the sending name for an Exchange account using your iPhone or iPad. You can change the name on the server (using web access) or ask the administrator to change it.
- Then, you can edit the sending name under the Name When changed, tap the Done option to save the changes.
So, these are the simple steps that you can consider when trying to change the sender name on your iPhone Mail application.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I change the name in my iPhone email application, will it also get changed for other email programs or on the web interface of the email service?
No, changes in the name on the iPhone Mail app will not be synchronized and changed on other email programs or the email service. The new name will only be visible when you send messages from the iPhone Mail application.
Do I need to use only my name?
You can change your current name to anything you desire.
What characters can I use in my iPhone email name?
There are no reserved characters. You can use any Unicode (UTF-8) character. Your iPhone Mail application will encode everything safely. However, it is to be noted that, not all email programs and services will display emoji characters in the name of the sender. It is possible that your name may appear jumbled.
Can I keep the email name field empty?
Yes, you can leave the email name field empty if you want. In this case, only your email address will appear to the recipient in the “From” section.